I agree! I don't want all that extra crap hogging valuable space on my browser!
BUT! you don't have to add a bunch of "toolbars" to get access to more search engines.
Both Internet Explorer and Firefox allow the user to have a collection of search engines inside the main browser search line. I have 6 to 10 different search engines in both browsers. You just click on the search icon and scroll down to "manage" or "add" search engines in either browser and then it will take you to the webpage where you can add more search options to your browser. Below are some of the search options you can add to your main browser search without adding extra toolbars.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
[click here to view Explorer Search add-ons]
Web Search Engines
- AOL Search - Search Less. Discover More.
- Ask.com - Better search tools for better results
- Google - Google Web Search
- Lycos.com - Lycos Search - Go Get It!
- Live Search - From Microsoft. Find it Fast
- Yahoo! - Yahoo! Web Search
- About.com - Top consumer advice and information site
- A9.com Amazon - Search Amazon's online stores
- Cnet.com - Search tech news, reviews and downloads
- eBay - Search Online Auctions
- ESPN - Search Sports Online
- Expedia.com - Search your favorite travel destinations
- Facebook - Search Facebook.com
- Microsoft - Search Microsoft.com
- MTV - Search Music, Videos and TV Shows
- Myspace - Search for friends, bands, video and more.
- Shopzilla.com - The Smarter Way to Shop
- SuperPages.com - Search Verizon’s Online Yellow Pages
- Target - Search and shop Target.com
- USATODAY.com - Search news online
- Wal-Mart - Search Walmart.com
- weather.com - Local Weather, Forecasts, News, & Video
- Wikipedia.org - Search the free encyclopedia
[click here to view Firefox Search add-ons]
Personally I use the following engines on my Firefox search bar:
There are over 350 search engines and search enhancement modules currently available to Firefox users. Many of them can also be downloaded for use on Explorer. I am not going to list all the ones for Firefox. At the Mozilla.com website you will find the search engines listed these fifteen categories to pick from:
- All Search Engines
- Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
- Multiple Search
- News & Blogs
- Photos & Images
- Shopping & E-Commerce
- Social & People
Check out what is available for your favourite browser:
Mozilla Firefox [click here to view Firefox Search add-ons]
Microsoft Internet Explorer [click here to view Explorer Search add-ons]