This week is the anniversary of the 2007
Bad news this afternoon. The
Concerted effort was redirected from the main blaze to squelch the new fires before they could grow into another roaring inferno. During this time the winds carried the main blaze around the sides of
Also this afternoon, two firefighters were trapped by the back-burn they had set earlier to help contain the main blaze. The two firefighters had to deploy their emergency survival shelters to avoid a fiery death. The two firefighters survived the ordeal thanks to the survival shelters known as shake & bakes because of the shaking action used to deploy the individual shelters and that once inside, well, you bake ... but you don’t burn! The metallic fabric fire shelters are credited with saving the lives of several hundred firefighters. Unfortunately the shelters don’t always work,
Smoke rises from Angora Ridge - Backside of the smoke plume
- There are still no deaths or serious injuries related to the
fire. Angora Lake
- Area charred by the fire is 3200 acres or 5 square miles (13 sq km).
- 800 firefighters are on the scene and the fire is about 44% contained.
- The number of homes destroyed by the fire has climbed over 200.
- With this afternoon’s forced evacuation of
and Tallac Village , evacuees are up to 2000 and continuing to rise as residents of the Tahoe Keys choose to flee ahead of the advancing wildfire. Gardner Mountain